Give yourself a hand. A hand is yours.

January 9th, 2013 · 11 Comments · Daily

This morning I dropped the kids off at 8:35, which gave me less than an hour before my first call of the day. I drove like one of those hell bats straight to the lake (My inner hell bat is very safe. She uses turn signals. No need for anger/concern.), loaded up my iPod, and decided to see how long I could run.

I ran/walked (mostly walked) for about 45 minutes, and it felt great. I haven’t run since I suffered a stress fracture in my heel on October 28th. This morning I learned that two months with no running put me straight back to I Can’t Run Without Thinking I Might Die. My longest running stretch was right around three and a half minutes, which was long enough to land me close to the end of Andrew Bird. And that’s a good place to be. (Gutter head.)

I saw less than five people while I was at the lake. The sun was shining. I was sweating like a heavy sweater would sweat. It was absolutely perfect. Best of all, the waterfall I hadn’t seen since October 25th had been waiting for my return.

He had been waiting.

Things are happening. This morning for the first time in forever, I didn’t feel the need to wear a shirt that covered my rear. You have no idea what a huge step this is for me. You really have no idea. (Unless you do.)

• 1 Ani // Jan 9, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I love the frozen water falls. Glad your run/walk left you feeling good.

• 2 christy // Jan 9, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Good for you!! The waterfall is so lovely.

• 3 Cindy // Jan 9, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I am super impressed by your ability to exercise outside. Every time I try to walk outside, my nose starts running like a faucet. I have to carry a box of Kleenex with me.

Also, my brain ended that sentence up there at shirt and I was all “wow! You are bold”.

But really…you are pretty darn awesome.

• 4 Kathy // Jan 9, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I do! I do! Yay, you!

• 5 Stephanie // Jan 9, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I totally do.

• 6 Amy in KC // Jan 9, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I’m proud of you! Now I need to get moving so I can get proud of me again…

• 7 StateofKate // Jan 9, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I am madly in love with Andrew Bird, and I am madly in love with running as well as that feeling that your butt is A-OK. So, much love to this day you had.

• 8 janet c // Jan 9, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I get it. My (very limited) experience tells me you will improve your endurance much quicker this time, it will not be as if you were starting all over. I managed to get myself back on track of the holiday break, but now I am back in a bit of rut. Mornings are hard!

• 9 Julie // Jan 10, 2013 at 11:10 am

Good for you! I am an on and off again runner, more off than on. When I do run, I always curse myself for ever stopping. It’s so hard to get back into again. I haven’t run for awhile now and I miss my runner’s calves.

Love your frozen waterfall. Running in beautiful , natural places is so satisfying.

• 10 Alli // Jan 12, 2013 at 9:42 am

Sorry, I am behind on my reading…so – which glasses did you choose? I like the Faster Pussycat. Good for you on all the exercising! I REALLY need to get back to the gym. Did I tell you that I went to Old Navy per your suggestion and bought me some sweat heart jeans? And I love them!!!!!!

• 11 Em // Jan 13, 2013 at 10:55 am

Not feeling the need to wear a shift that covers your rear? You just described my wildest dream (in terms of goal reaching. I have some wild dreams when I eat spicy too close to bed but they don’t relate to my clothes). Great for you!