It’s the Fluid Pudding BreadPuddingAlong!

March 7th, 2013 · 14 Comments · Daily

On Sunday afternoon, I walked into the grocery store at the same time as an older woman with crazy red hair.

FPBPA01

I grabbed a cart. She grabbed a cart. I headed toward the applesauce. She screamed, “WHERE ARE THE PINEAPPLE TIDBITS?!”

FPBPA02

One of the store managers came over and told her to head to Aisle 11. Because Aisle 11 was also the applesauce aisle, I secretly felt a small thrill at the thought that I might be able to help this woman locate her tidbits.

FPBPA03

As I grabbed my applesauce (the strawberry kind, because the kids are NUTS for it), I saw her choosing her tidbits about twenty feet down the aisle from me. As she threw them into her cart, she screamed, “WHERE IS THE DURKEE NUTMEG?!”

FPBPA04

The manager ran over and explained that they don’t carry Durkee spices and would she settle for McCormick Nutmeg? “BUT I HAVE A *COUPON*!!!”

FPBPA05

I had only a few things that I needed to pick up at the store (applesauce, peanut butter, bananas, black beans), and the firecracker continued to explode with every item on her list. (“WHERE ARE THE PORK TENDERLOINS?!”) I’m sure the manager didn’t love her, but I did.

FPBPA06

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding from Veganomicon. I’m sure the kids won’t love it, but I did. Please let me know if you BreadPuddingedAlong!

• 1 Lisa // Mar 7, 2013 at 4:00 pm

As someone who is halfway to becoming that lady (and currently has crazy reddish hair), I’m relieved that you like her.

• 2 MJ // Mar 7, 2013 at 4:14 pm

This is awesome, and so funny.

• 3 Nichole // Mar 7, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I did PuddingAlong! Unsuccessfully. Maybe I should’ve used tidbits and nutmeg. Here’s the sad tale of puddin’ woe.

• 4 How I celebrated the internet's greatest bread pudding event | Butterscotch Sundae // Mar 7, 2013 at 4:26 pm

[...] is the Fluid Pudding BreadPuddingAlong, so last night I tried to make myself some bread pudding. And because Rockford was off doing work [...]

• 5 elsiroomom // Mar 7, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I needed a laugh! This did it! A laugh accompanied by drooling over the photos. ….good thing my office door is closed, so no one can see me laughing/drooling. I am officially stealing this recipe (although I will dairify it for my family) and because I’m going to make it after the kids are in bed, I will substitute almonds for the chocolate chips, and call it breakfast.

I would love to just follow the lady around and then see if I could predict what she would yell out next! Or play “guess the recipe” with her shouted ingredients. Good fun!

• 6 Kathy S. // Mar 7, 2013 at 6:03 pm

GOLDURNIT. I fully intended to BreadPuddingAlong but then this week tried to kill me. If it turns out I am not, in fact, allergic to Cipro then I will TOTALLY make a gluten/grain/dairy-free bread pudding. Belatedly. For reals.

• 7 Peachy Girl // Mar 7, 2013 at 7:30 pm

This looks incredibly delicious! (Although, I don’t do much baking these days.) Love the story, and, like Elsiroomom, I would have loved to follow that lady through the store to guess the recipe(s).

• 8 Jennifer // Mar 7, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I am going to be the crazy red headed lady in the not too distant future. Except my hair will be grey. Crazy, but grey.

“WHERE IS THE ORANGE MARMALADE?”

Yep. That’ll be me.

• 9 Oz a // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I love you for loving her.

• 10 Kait // Mar 9, 2013 at 1:04 am

Why can’t you just invite me over to eat your bread pudding? Because yours looks delicious and I’m incredibly lazy.

• 11 The Coffee Lady // Mar 9, 2013 at 7:35 am

What is a tidbit?

• 12 Alli // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:24 am

I love that you loved her, too!

• 13 Dooley // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:42 am

I’m with The Coffee Lady. We have a unit of measure called tidbit?

• 14 Shannon // Mar 12, 2013 at 8:48 am

At least your grocery store experience wasn’t boring. :)

elsiroomom, when you dairyify the recipe, do you use a straight substitution i.e. 2% milk for the soy? I know, we’re heathens but also allergic to soy. Go figure.