I bought a Whitelines notebook. Because of Grandmaster Flash.

January 28th, 2014 · 14 Comments · Daily

Let’s talk about that whole single sentence journal thing. I’ve heard from a few people who told me that Gretchen Rubin talks about a One Sentence Journal in The Happiness Project.

She started hers to build on the idea that happy times from the past can make you happy in the future. I’m starting mine because I’m lazy, but I really enjoy sitting down with a blank page and a pen. She types hers on the computer. Mine will always be handwritten, but I plan on sharing it on Instagram. She has really great hair and I think I want to be friends with her. My hair barely exists and I’m much more charming on the computer than I am in real life. I could live on bean burritos and snickerdoodles. I may have to have a colonoscopy in a few weeks. The two previous sentences may (or may not) be related.

Anyway, because the hashtag #onesentencejournal is taken by Happiness Project enthusiasts, I say we just forget about hashtags. (Honestly, don’t get me started on hashtags. I once found myself all bent over in a closet and one of the reasons why had to do with hashtags (and my lack of spine).)

So, anyway, although the official start date is February 1, I’ve been warming up.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

If you’re joining us and posting your stuff online, please share the address. If it takes less than fifteen minutes to accomplish, I’ll create a sidebar link list of our blurb journals. Wait. Blurb Journal. Hashtag Blurb Journal?! What just happened?

• 1 Emily // Jan 28, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I’ll share mine on Instagram too. I’m prettycrabby over there. And everywhere. Ha.

I like hashtags cause then you can find them. What about #puddingjournal ? Heh.

• 2 SnodV // Jan 28, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I love this idea and might copy you, because I’m a copycat. Also, on the topic of hashtags, I have to politely follow someone #who#doesn’t#understand#how#hashtags#work and it’s driving me absolutely bonkers!!!!

• 3 Laurie // Jan 28, 2014 at 3:46 pm

lazyjournal
    journalsentence
    journalsentence (like when you’re imprisoned by or with your journal.)
    onelinejournal
    oneliners

I can’t stop.

• 4 Amy in KC // Jan 28, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I started mine! My handwriting is much less interesting than yours. I don’t think I remember my instagram account name.
    #blurbjournal seems somehow appropriate to me.

• 5 Kathy S. // Jan 28, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Ooo, I kind of need a hashtag. They make me feel important. But I could just tag you in all my #nohashtagsforyou journal entries! That’ll work, right? *hyperventilates* I’m not entirely sure that almond milk latte I had earlier was really decaf.

• 6 elsiroomom // Jan 28, 2014 at 5:25 pm

So, I’ve really stayed away from Instagram – because I feel like my social media life could overtake my real life already, and I am worried about the time suck. (See also: Pinterest). So I will EITHER post on Facebook or Twitter, I’m thinking. Or maybe I’ll just do the paper one, and then post the good ones. Or maybe I should try to figure out how to do this online, as a way to start a blog? I don’t know. I’m definitely doing this but the #logistics have me stumped.

• 7 Cairn // Jan 28, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I can say that you make really good snikerdoodles. One more day of subbing and then I can go find a journal and pen. Hopefully I can keep up!

• 8 Judi // Jan 28, 2014 at 8:55 pm

I’ll be doing it on instsgram too. I am on no way a writer, but it sounds so fun to share the love.

• 9 Peachy Girl // Jan 29, 2014 at 11:32 am

Started mine over the weekend. No fun pictures, but trying to keep the entries positive in order to maintain a positive state of mind.

• 10 kimberly // Jan 29, 2014 at 11:56 am

My plan is to post on Instagram at kimberlykauer (http://instagram.com/kimberlykauer) with occassional posts on my blog, if I can ever remember to do it.

• 11 Ani // Jan 29, 2014 at 1:11 pm

What a great idea. I have to figure out how to do it. Heh. I had a Colonscopy the beginning of the month. It will be ok. You’ll be out. The night before hopefully you will get a doctor who will be ok with adding Miralax into cherry flavored clear gatorade. Appropriatley named Artic something or other. Best of luck!!!

• 12 kb // Jan 29, 2014 at 5:20 pm

The fact that you placed three lines under the “F” in Frozen, warms this freelance copy editor/proofreader’s heart!

• 13 Charisa // Jan 30, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I’ve tried to start but one sentence is intimidating!

• 14 jill (mrs chaos) // Jan 31, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I think I have to do this. Like, I don’t have a choice in the matter because I love it.